Some of the interesting facts about books and reading are:
- There are nearly 130 million(129,864,880 to be exact) books in the entire world.
- It would take 60,000 years to read all the books in the world.
- The three most read books are – The Holy Bible, Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-Tung, and Harry Potter.
- President Theodore Roosevelt read one book per day.
- The longest sentence ever printed consists of 823 words.
- The first book described as a “best-seller” was Fools Of Nature by US writer Alice Brown in 1889.
- One in five adults around the world cannot read or write, with the highest rates in South and West Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
- People in India are the world’s biggest readers, spending an average 10.7 hours a week.
- The M6 toll road was built on two-and-a-half million copies of pulped Mills & Boon novels.
- It takes an average of 475 hours to write a novel.
- Women buy 68% of all books sold.
- The page most readers lose interest at is Page 18.
- The term “bookworm” comes from insects who feed on binding of books.